MARK BROOKS - Apr 14 - Gijs van Wulfen recently published: "The Innovation Expedition." Here's my favorite top 20 quotes and top 10 essential insights from his articles on Linkedin.
1. Status quo is Latin for, 'The mess we're in.' [Ronald Reagan]
2. When the rate of change outside is more than what is inside, be sure that the end is near. [Azim Premji]
3. Details matter, it’s worth waiting to get it right. [Steve Jobs]
4. The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. [William Gibson]
5. It’s tough when markets change and your people within the company don’t. [Harvard Business Review]
6. Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. [Will Rogers]
7. Learning and innovation go hand in hand. The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow. [William Pollard]
8. Minds are like parachutes; they work best when open. [T. Dewar]
9. He who sees things grow from the beginning will have the best view of them. [Aristotle]
10. The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. [George Bernard Shaw]
11. You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore. [Andre Gide]
12. Promotions may win quarters, innovation wins decades. [former P&G CEO Bob McDonald]
14. Managers say yes to innovation only if doing nothing is a bigger risk. [Gijs van Wulfen]
15. The key to success is for you to make a habit throughout your life of doing the things you fear. [Vincent Van Gogh]
16. Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration. [Thomas Edison]
17. Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all. [Dale Carnegie]
18. The best ideas lose their owners and take on lives of their own. [N. Bushnell]
19. If you want to go fast - go alone. But if you want to go far - go together. [African proverb]
20. The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it. [Chinese saying].
- Continuous innovation is bullshit. You only innovate when you have to.
- Organizations frustrate innovative employees.
- Starting innovation is like a child starting to walk. Learn to love the struggle!
- Never start innovation with an idea. You will fall in love with it. But love is blind.
- If you don’t get new insights you won’t get new ideas.
- You can invent on your own, but in an organization you can never innovate alone!
- Think outside the box and present your idea inside the box otherwise nothing will happen.
- Innovators should bring back new business not new ideas.
- The voice of the customer is your best support for a new concept.
- An organization is just like a herd. Focus on the slowest animals. When they start running too your organization really gets innovative.
If you like these, you should follow Gijs van Wulfen on Linkedin.